Tuesday, May 26, 2009

02 August – Gunji-Navidhang Track – Part 1 – Gunji to Kalapani

The next morning I woke up and Sushrut was not to be seen. I pulled on my shoes and walked outside. There he was, outside the barrack, chatting to Sudhir uncle and munching away on biscuits. I raised my eyebrows and asked him, “I thought you weren’t coming with us today.” “Ha!” He said. “Why wouldn’t I?” I was overjoyed to see him up and about with no sign of the headache.
Around 7:15 am, we gulped hot glasses of bourn vita and left the gates of the Gunji camp. Turning right we walked a sharp incline and came to a kind of a plain where again there was an ITBP check post and a head count was done. The sky was a deep blue with puffs of clouds everywhere and everything was bathed in a pale watery light. The air was crisp and clean with a faint piney smell. The walk was pleasant and invigorating. The path was wide and stone strewn and it seemed like we were out on a simple nature trail with no sign of the previous hardships.
The Kali seemed like a sweet gurgling brook. I found it hard to believe that this was the same river. Sometimes we were high above the river and sometimes we were walking alongside it. We could see cliffs of sandstone on the opposite side and mountains of a yellowish ochre stone on our side and smooth pebbles and rocks along the river. There were moss and lichen covered trees and unusually shaped dried trunks all around. I was lulled into a feeling of tranquility and mostly walked in silence.
A small battalion of ITBP soldiers raced by us at one point. They were probably out on their exercise routine. A little before Kalapani we saw structures like closed rooms down below the path a little off the river bed. When we asked Sahji, he said those were actually bathrooms. Somewhere below were hot springs and the bathrooms were built for pilgrims to bathe in them. A hot bath sounded heavenly though sadly we were in no position to take advantage of it. We had a lot of ground to cover yet with no time for luxuries.The trek was completely uneventful and almost soothing and we covered the 9 kms to Kalapani by 11:15 am. I should have wondered then at such an out of sync calm but I was too busy enjoying myself to look a gift horse in the mouth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Firstly, delighted to see you back again blogging. Thanks for a couple of posts on remaining part of the trek.
It's a fine gift for me to receive being back to the city from Kedartal.
Very neatly crafted with all expressions that a nature lover carries within.
As I expressed before, it would be a nice series to share on our online travel journal (surely if you specifically permit us) at www.trekwords.wordpress.com so to enable rest of the trekkers to learn about the trail and plan own programmes. Never mind, if you wish not; but would urge to pay visit to it.
Regards,

Saibal

Asawari Badve said...

@saibal
Thanks for the interest and encouragement. I'd love to share my blog on your online travel journal ( I saw it and loved it). But how do I do that?

Saibal Barman said...

Sorry, Asawari, for my popping in your page after long time..
Although I find little time to update the journal now all alone, yet I will look forward to your permission for publication therein.
What you need to do is only mail us at saibarman@gmail.com mentioning the post which you allow us to republish on our journal. That's it.
I will also await further posts on your page...
Regards,

Barman S